To apply for Student Support Services (SSS) a student must be a U.S. citizen, a national, or otherwise a legal recipient of federal financial aid. In addition, applicants must be first-generation college students, and/or low-income, and/or have a documented disability. To be considered, students should also be starting their first year at Rutgers as an incoming or transfer student, and still need to complete either their core curriculum requirements or prerequisites for entry into a major. Last, students must demonstrate some form of academic need. Each student is assessed on these eligibility criteria and their potential fit for the program. The SSS program aims to recruit and accept eligible students who have a high level of need in the areas we are most equipped to support. Because slots are limited and enrollment in SSS is competitive, not all students who are eligible will be accepted.
How to Apply?
- Visit SSS Application Page
- Complete the online application
- Send in the required tax return or replacement documents via mail, in-person or email. (NO FAX)
- For dependent students (parent(s) or guardian(s) did file taxes this year): Send in copy of most recently completed tax return for family or primary supporting parent.
- For dependent students (parent(s) or guardian(s) did not file taxes this year): Send in a letter requesting SSS enrollment with student’s SS#, primary supporting parent’s SS#, reason no taxes were filed and any supporting documentation to support reason (i.e. disability paperwork).
- For independent students (did file taxes this year): Send in copy of most recently completed tax return.
- For independent students (did not file taxes this year): Send in a letter requesting SSS enrollment with student’s SS#, reason no taxes were filed and any supporting documentation to support reason (i.e. disability paperwork).
- Once all documents are received we will review your application and notify you of your acceptance, rejection or request a meeting to gather further information.
Note: applications without required documentation are considered incomplete. We will not review applications until all documentation is received. To verify your application and supporting documentation have been received you should contact the office directly.
Walk-in or mailing address:
Lucy Stone Hall, A319
Student Supprot Services
54 Joyce Kilmer Ave
Piscataway, NJ 08854